Scholarships in Australia – Eligibility, Required Documents
There are many different types of financial aid available to overseas students in Australia, including grants, scholarships, which can be a huge help in covering the costs of your education there. Scholarships in Australia are a great way to save money and have extra time for school. Scholarships in Australia can also help with day-to-day expenses including rent, transportation, and school supplies. If you like, you can use your scholarship funds to pay for your entire education in Australia. The Australian government, universities, and other organizations both public and private are providing you with these scholarships in Australia. Students can contact scholarship organizations and submit applications for available scholarships. Here is a rundown of the best Australian scholarships available to students studying abroad.
Destination Australia Scholarship
Scholarships for regional study in Australia are made possible by the Australian government, which provides funding to institutions of higher learning that meet certain criteria. The Destination Australia Program is the official name for this initiative (DAP). Destination Australia offers four-year scholarships to international students participating in Certificate IV or PhD programs at remote campuses across Australia. Each one can be worth up to $15,000. Projects that promote growth and long-term viability receive funding from the Destination Australia Program. Australians and international students alike can find financial aid through the country’s generous scholarship program. Furthermore, about 380 Australian and international students will be eligible to apply for this award.
The Australian Government’s Destination Australia Scholarship Program Requirements
The following are the requirements to be considered for a scholarship from Destination Australia:
- In addition to a residential certificate IV, certificate IV, accredited diploma, advanced diploma, or associate degree from another institution, you must hold a bachelor’s degree, bachelor’s honors degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master’s degree, or doctoral degree from one of our partner institutions.
- You must be an unsponsored, full-fee paying student.
- You need to have earned a 75% average or higher in your prior coursework.
- To study in Australia, you’ll need a student visa.
- Full-time enrollment at an Australian college or university located in a specific region is required.
- You are obligated to maintain residence in a rural part of Australia.
- You must enroll in a recognized college or university in order to study at the collegiate level.
Government Australia Awards provides funding for study in Australia
Scholarships like the Australia Awards are only one way the country of Australia works to strengthen the links it maintains with its neighbours and attract international students to study there. Aid for this Australian scholarship comes from three different government agencies: the Department of Education, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research. The Australia Awards Scholarship often pays for full university tuition, round-trip economy airfare to Australia, full board, an orientation course, health insurance, and immigration processing fees. It also plays a role in the applicant’s ultimate decision to settle down in Australia. Subject to eligibility and availability of funds, the Australia Awards scholarship may also cover pre-course English language teaching, additional academic support, fieldwork, and reunion travel.
Read More: Why Should you Study Civil Engineering in Australia?
Study Abroad Grants in Australia: Who Is Eligible for Australia’s Scholarships and Grants?
Australia Awards Scholarship applications need the following materials:
- The applicant must not be an Australian or New Zealand permanent resident and must be a citizen or permanent resident of one of the participating countries, such as Bangladesh, India, or Pakistan.
- The applicant must turn 18 by February 1, when the scholarship officially begins.
- Standardized tests of English proficiency (IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 78, or PTE 58) are necessary.
- Get accepted into one of Australia’s top universities.
- Must be able to pass the visa inspection by Australia’s Department of Home Affairs.
- No one who has previously won an Australia Award will be considered again unless they have spent at least twice as long living abroad as they have in Australia.
Australia Scholarships: Required Forms to Apply
- Original and certified English translations of your birth certificate, transcripts, and degree certificate (if necessary).
- Certified copy of valid documentation of citizenship required by law (such as national identity card or passport).
- A curriculum vitae that successfully communicates one’s prior experiences, duties, and accomplishments
- There should be at least one academic referee report and one additional referee report. Research-focused master’s and doctoral applicants are expected to submit the feedback of two academic references.
- Results from an English proficiency test, such as the TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS. The validity of the certificate must extend until January 1 of the award year.
- PhD applicants must submit evidence that their proposed research topic has been approved in principle by a possible advisor (through email or letter communication).
Researcher Development Training in Australia (RTP)
The RTP provides funding for international and Australian students to do doctoral and master’s level research in Australia. As 2017 began, the RTP replaced the Research Training Scheme and the International Postgraduate Research Scholarships. Questions about the Australian Government Research Training Program’s application process and deadlines should be directed to the applicant’s home institution. Please provide more information regarding the RTP’s scholarship opportunities for foreign students.
The RTP requires:
- Each recipient will receive a yearly allowance ranging from AUD 28,092 to AUD 43,882.
- Institutions are only allowed to utilize 10% of their RTP money to assist overseas students.
- Academic merit, excellence, and other factors are considered in making these selections.
- Experts who have published in their field will be given priority.
- Scholarships are awarded for a minimum of two years for a master’s degree in research and three years for a doctorate in research.
- Applicants may submit as many applications as they like to the Australian Government Research Training Program at any university they choose.
An institution can only give a student who has been awarded an RTP Scholarship one of the following options:
- Higher education expenses incurred while pursuing a doctorate through research are covered by RTP Fees Offsets. For this reason, the student must receive full tuition reimbursement from the university. Nothing has been given up at this point.
- The RTP Stipend is meant to help cover some of the costs associated with doing research toward a degree.
- Research Expense Allowances (RTP Allowances) help students deal with the extra financial burden of obtaining a graduate education through research (HDR). Health insurance for recipients and their family, moving costs for HDR students, and the printing of an HDR thesis for academic publishing.
- To apply for a new RTP stipend, allowance, or fee offset, please get in touch with a participating university directly. The RTP application, selection, and offer processes are managed by the individual universities.
Students can get in touch with the scholarship office at their target institution to learn more about the RTP application procedure and important dates.
Australian Scholarships: RTP Recipient Eligibility
- Australian RTP scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a new or current international graduate student in a research program.
- High research potential and an excellent academic record.
- Be enrolled in a PhD or master’s by research program, or hold an unconditional offer of admission to one of these programs.
What you need to submit to get an Australian RTP scholarship
- Transcripts from prior institutions attended: Current students applying to the RTP are required to submit transcripts from previous institutions attended (even if you have already provided them with your application for entry into the degree).
- Documentation of previous professional experience, artistic or musical creations, and publications. Your articles will not be considered for your application if we are unable to verify them.
- Scholarship applicants will not be penalized for low scores on standardized tests of English proficiency such as the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. These items might be requested by the admissions office when you apply.
- Photocopies of supporting documentation for RTP applications and digital files for online applications for admission to study programs are both acceptable to the University.
Scholarships for Australian providers
Scholarships for international students are readily available at Australian universities. In order to get further information, you need contact the provider’s admissions office or international office. Any and all questions regarding eligibility should be addressed immediately to the scholarship’s granting organization. Scholarships for overseas students in Australia are available to students of all nationalities.
Scholarships for Overseas Students at the University of Sydney
The University of Sydney International Scholarship is open to students who meet the admissions criteria for the University of Sydney’s Master by Research or Postgraduate Research Degree programmes (USydIS). The USydIS will pay for a PhD candidate’s tuition and living expenses for up to three years, with the possibility of a fourth year.
International Scholarships from Macquarie University
Students who attend the North Ryde campus of Macquarie University and demonstrate excellent academic promise may be eligible for financial aid in the form of a Vice-International Chancellor’s Scholarship to help defray the cost of their education. The prize money could range from AUD$1,000 to AUD$10,000.
Grants for Extraordinary Achievement at Griffith
For both undergraduate and graduate study at Griffith University, exceptional students can apply for a Griffith Exceptional Scholarship. Half of your program’s tuition will be covered by the scholarship, with the balance due upon completion of your studies.
Graduate Research Awards at the University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne established the Graduate Research Scholarship to recognize and reward the most promising undergraduate and graduate students from around the world who are committed to pursuing careers in academic research. The scholarship offers benefits such as a stipend, help with moving expenses, free or reduced tuition, and medical coverage while the recipient is studying abroad.
Read More: Study In Australia Without IELTS 2023
Scholarships for Foreign Students at the University of Adelaide for Global Excellence
The University of Adelaide Global Academic Excellence Overseas Scholarship is a highly competitive scholarship given to international students who have excelled academically in previous courses and are entering undergraduate or graduate study at the University of Adelaide. The scholarship will cover 50% of your educational costs.
Scholarships for Graduate Study at Flinders University
Flinders University offers international students the opportunity to earn a Research Masters or PhD degree through a full-time research program for a period of up to two or three years, respectively (FIPRS). In addition to tuition, the scholarship will also cover the student’s living expenses, including transportation to and from the university.
Scholarships for Outstanding Foreign Students from the Vice Chancellor of Charles Darwin University
For international students with a demonstrated record of academic distinction and good success who wish to enroll in an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at Charles Darwin University, a restricted number of tuition price scholarships ranging from 25% to 50% are available.
Scholarships for Study Abroad at UNSW
International students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate coursework program at UNSW are eligible for a variety of scholarships and grants. Some scholarships may cover the full cost of your education, while others may simply cover a portion of it.
Scholarship for Outstanding Foreign Students at Monash University
This award provides a yearly tuition waiver of $10,000 for the duration of the degree program. Students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels who demonstrate academic promise are eligible to receive this award. There is no separate application process for this scholarship. Scholarships like this one exist at universities in Australia for students from other countries.